JEDEN RODIČ, n.o. (SINGLE PARENT) is the only organization in Slovakia that provides comprehensive professional and humanitarian assistance for single parents and their children from single-parent households.
It was established in 2019 and during its two-year existence has provided assistance to families throughout Slovakia. Their role is to support single-parent families and improve the lives of single parents and their children through real help and improved conditions in the social system of Slovakia and in society.
The organization acts to ensure a society in which single parents and their children receive fair treatment. They provide a comprehensive assistance program through which more than 10 people help one family for 12 months (a social worker, a lawyer, a psychologist, a life coach, a financial and career advisor, food and humanitarian volunteers), so that family members, can go through this challenging time in their lives with more dignity and security. We have launched our own CRM, in which we keep track of the families, the different interventions and provide them with comprehensive assistance through multidisciplinary work with specialists who enter the process of helping families.
An educational program has been launched: My Life and Me. After entering the client zone of the organization, clients – parents study the created lectures, videos, podcasts, according to their own needs. They do not have to go anywhere; they are created only for single parents and their children for self-education on single parenthood. In the areas of healthy families, interpersonal partner relationships, stable finances, work, and opportunities for their children‘s education and development.
We give the opportunity for single parents to gain new skills and knowledge to better cope with this time of life. Therefore, the organization also cooperates with other non-governmental organizations in Slovakia, which specialize in certain areas, such as: widows‘ meetings, medical equipment rental, social enterprises, food banks.
Politicians, employers and the public are being influenced to improve conditions for single-parent households. A round table has been organized, attended by more than 30 organizations from the public, commercial and non-governmental sectors, to jointly identify the problems of one-parent families and look for solutions.
- Shorten this challenging time in life so that children and parents can have a fresh start.
- Improve and enhance the living conditions of single-parent families.
- Minimize any adverse effects on the lives and well-being of children in single-parent families.
- Develop centres where single parents and their children can come to ask for help and meet regularly.
- Launch an online platform where parents can learn, obtain information, download applications.
- Advocate for changes in the social system in Slovakia.
- Legally recognise the concept of single parents raising one or more dependent children, who deserve more attention from the government and public institutions because of their increased exposure to the risk of poverty and social exclusion.